Chart Wizard in Excel
Chart Wizard in excel is a type of wizard which takes any user or guides them to a step by step process to insert a chart in an excel spreadsheet, it was available in excel older versions as the name of chart wizard and for the newer versions we have recommended charts option where excel itself recommends us various types of charts to choose.
How to Build a Chart using the Excel Chart Wizard?
Let’s consider the below data as our chart data. Based on this data we are going to build a chart.
- Step 1: Firstly we need to select the data first. In this case, the data range is A1 to B6.
- Step 2: Go to the INSERT tab. Under the INSERT tab go to the chart area.
- Step 3: Since we have selected a column chart, click on the column chart.
- Step 4: Select the first chart in this.
- Step 5: As soon as you click on this chart excel shows your default chart as shown in the below image.
- Step 6: This isn’t a fully equipped chart. We need to make some adjustments to this chart to make it look better and beautiful.
Firstly right-click on the chart and select, Select Data.
- Step 7: In the below window we need only sales column to be shown as column bars, so remove Year from this list.
- Step 8: After removing it, we need Years to have appeared in the X-Axis. So click on the Edit button on the right-hand side.
- Step 9: Now select the Year range as the reference.
- Step 10: Click on Ok to back to the previous window. Again click on the OK button to complete the chart building. We have a chart ready now.
- Step 11: We need to change the Chart Heading to Year on Year Sales Comparison. To change the chart title double click on the chart title and enter your own chart title.
- Step 12: Add Data Labels. Data Labels are nothing but each data bar’s actual numbers. Let’s show the Data Labels on each bar now.
Right-click on one of the bar and select Add Data Labels.
Now we can see data labels for each label.
- Step 13: The next thing in the beautification process is removing gridlines. Gridlines are the tiny gray-colored line in the chart plot area.
In order to delete them select the gridline and hit delete key, we will have a chart without gridlines.
- Step 14: Change the color of the chart fonts to black. Select the chart and select black font color in the Home Tab.
- Step 15: Since we have only one set of data in this chart remove legend from the chart.
- Step 16: You can change the default column bar color to any of the colors as per your wish under the HOME tab. Select the bar and hit the color of your choice.
Things to Remember
These are the process involved in creating a chart. Below are some points to remember here.
- It will cover all the things you should know about excel chart creation. Up until Excel 2007 version excel has its own wizard tool which would have guided the beginners in terms of creating charts in excel. But from excel 2007 versions they have eliminated Chart Wizard and integrated sophisticated ribbon interface which is far better than the traditional Chart Wizard.
- Under SELECT DATA we can select and delete unwanted things.
- If the excel doesn’t give you proper X-Axis then you need to follow Step 8 & Step9.
- Show Legends only in case of two or more items. In case of a single item remove the legend.
This has been a guide to Excel Chart Wizard. Here we discuss How to Build an Excel Chart Wizard along with practical examples and downloadable excel template. You may learn more about excel from the following articles –