Is Retained Earning an Asset?
Retained Earnings is the net income which is accumulated over a period of time and later on used to pay shareholder as in form of dividend or as in form of compensation to shareholders in case of selling or buying of the corporation. Thus, retained earnings are not an asset for the company since it belongs to shareholders as the same is held by the entity as additional equity shareholder capital.
Net Retained Earnings = Retained Earnings at the beginning of the Period + Net Income/Loss During the Period – Total Dividends
Basically retained earnings are shown in the liability side of the balance sheet under the head reserves and surplus in shareholders equity fund. It is considered as an equity account hence it is usually expected to have a credit balance.
Purpose of Retained Earnings
- For distribution of the dividend at any time in the future i.e., in the middle of any financial year.
- These earnings are retained for future use to help in funding for an expansion of the corporation.
- These can be used as compensation to the shareholders in case of winding up of a corporation.
- The credit balance of the retained earnings can be capitalized by issuing bonus shares to the shareholders.
Case #1: In case there is a net profit from profit and loss account for the relevant financial year
XYZ Corporation has retained earnings at the beginning of the period 2019 of $250,000. During the year company earned the net income of $100,000 after deducting all the expenses and paid the preference dividend to preference shareholders of $75,000 and equity dividend to the equity shareholders of $100,000. Calculate the retained earnings of the company for the period ending in 2019.
Calculation of retained earnings of the company for the period ending in 2019:
Case #2: In case there is net loss from profit and loss account for the relevant financial year
ABC Corporation has retained earnings at the beginning of the period 2019 of $350,000. During the year company incurred the net loss of $120,000 after deducting all the expenses. Since there is a net loss from profit and loss account, hence dividends to any shareholders will not be distributed. Calculate the retained earnings of the company for the period ending in 2019.
Calculation of Retained Earnings of the company for the period ending in 2019:
- Thus retained earnings are said to be part of net profit after deducting the dividend to be paid to the shareholders, which will be accumulated over a period of time in order to utilize them for Future funding consequences which may arrive in the corporation at any point in a future date.
- Retained earnings are the entity’s net income from various operations held by the entity as additional equity shareholder capital. Hence it is considered as shareholders fund and also will be represented in calculating return on equity which is invested by the shareholders in the entity.
This has been a guide to Is Retained Earning an Asset? Here we discuss the classification of retained earnings along with its purpose. You can learn more about from the following articles –