COMBIN in Excel
COMBIN function in excel is also known as combination function which is used to calculate the number of possible combinations for two given numbers, this function takes two arguments one is the number and number chosen, for example, if the number is 5 and number chosen is 1 then there are total of 5 combinations so it gives 5 as a result.
It helps to derive such combinations as shown above. The number of combinations is as follows, where number = n and number_chosen = k:
It has two compulsory parameters i.e. number and number_chosen.
- number: number should be greater than or equal to zero also it should be greater than or equal to the number_chosen.
- number_chosen: It is a number of items in each of the combinations, and must be greater than or equal to zero.
How to Use COMBIN Function in Excel?
Let understand the working of COMBIN function in excel by some examples. It can be used as a worksheet function and as a VBA function.
For any 6 objects (e.g. a, b, c, d, e, f), there are 15 different combinations of 2 objects.
And can be calculated easily by COMBIN function like as follows:
will get 15 combinations
Suppose we are given ten numbers from 1 to 10 as 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 and 10.
4.9 (1,353 ratings) 35+ Courses | 120+ Hours | Full Lifetime Access | Certificate of Completion
Now let’s use COMBIN function to calculate the number of combinations without repetitions for the other numbers of objects taken from a set of 10.
The output of the COMBIN is shown in the result column.
Let’s now see how we can use this function in day-to-day life. Suppose there are 20 employees and we want to pair them into two-person teams. Using the COMBIN function, we can see the possible two-person teams that can be formed from 20 employees.
=COMBIN (20, 2)
the output will be 190
This time consider the 5 objects as a, b, c, d, and e. And take a pair for each as shown below. Now determine the possible combinations manually and using COMBIN in excel separately as shown in the below tables.
Manual calculation on possible combinations as follows:
First, make the combination with A as shown in the first column than with B as shown in column 2 and then with C as shown in column 3 and in last with D as shown in column 4 without repetition.
Now calculate every possible combination using =COMBIN(K17,K18).
We will get 10:
A combination in excel can be used as a VBA function.
Dim dblCombin As Double // declare a variable as double
dblCombin = Application.WorksheetFunction.Combin(42 , 6) //save the combination in excel o/p in dblcombin variable
Msgbox(dblCombin) //Print the output possible combinations in Message box.
Output “5245786” will be printed in the message box.
Things to Remember
- Arguments that contain decimal values are truncated to integers.
- If the supplied number is non-numeric value then COMBIN function will return the #VALUE! Error.
- If the supplied number_chosen is non-numeric value then COMBIN function will return the #VALUE! Error.
- #NUM error – Occurs when the value or any argument is outside of its constraint.
- the supplied number argument is less than 0;
- The supplied number_chosen argument is less than 0 or is greater than the number argument.
This has been a guide to COMBIN Function in Excel. Here we discuss the COMBIN Formula in excel and how to use Combination function along with excel example and downloadable excel templates. You may also look at these useful functions in excel –