ROUND in Excel
ROUND Excel function is an inbuilt function in excel which is used to calculate the round number of a given number with the number of digits to be provided as an argument, this formula takes two arguments one which is the number itself and the second argument is the number of digits we want the number to be rounded up to.t.
ROUND Formula in Excel
The ROUND Formula in Excel accepts the following parameters and arguments:
Number – The number which has to be rounded.
Num_Digits – The total number of digits to round the number to.
Return Value: The ROUND function returns a numeric value.
- The ROUND formula in Excel works by rounding the numbers 1-4 down and rounding the numbers 5-9 up.
- You can use the ROUND function in excel for rounding numbers to a specified level of precision. ROUND can be used for rounding to the right or left of the decimal point.
- If num_digits is greater than 0, the number will be rounded to the specified decimal places to the right of the decimal point. For example, =ROUND (16.55, 1) will round 16.55 to 16.6.
- If num_digits is less than 0, the number will be rounded to the left of the decimal point (i.e. to the nearest 10, 100, 1000, and so on). For example, =ROUND (16.55, -1) will round 16.55 to the nearest 10 and return 20 as the return value or result.
- If num_digits = 0, the number will be rounded to the nearest integer (no decimal places). For example, =ROUND (16.55, 0) will round 16.55 to 17.
The ROUND in excel follows the general math rules for rounding the numbers. In this Round Function, the number to the right of the rounding digit will determine whether the number should be rounded upwards or downwards. The rounding digit is considered to be the least significant digit after the number is rounded and it also gets changed which depends on whether the digit that is following it is less or greater than 5.
- In case the digit to the right of the rounding digit is 0,1,2,3, or 4, the rounding digit will not be changed, and the number will be rounded down.
- In case the rounding digit is followed by 5,6,7,8, or 9, the rounding digit will be increased by one and the number will be rounded up.
Consider the following table to understand the above theory more deeply. In this ROUND in Excel example, we are taking the Number 106.864 and the position is cell number A2 in the spreadsheet.
|=ROUND (A2,2)||106.86||The number in A2 is rounded to 2 decimal places.|
|=ROUND (A2,1)||106.9||The number is A2 is rounded to 1 decimal place.|
|=ROUND (A2,0)||107||The number in A2 is rounded to the nearest integer.|
|=ROUND (A2,-1)||110||Number in A2 is rounded to the nearest multiple of 10.|
|=ROUND (A2-2)||100||Number in A2 is rounded to the nearest multiple of 100.|
How to Open the ROUND Function in Excel?
- You can simply enter the desired ROUND formula in the required cell to attain a return value on the argument.
- You can manually open the ROUND formula in the Excel dialogue box in the spreadsheet and enter the logical values to attain a return value.
- From the below spreadsheet, you can see the Formulas Section in the Menu Bar. Under the Formulas section, Click on the Math & Trig.
- After clicking the Math & Trig option, select ROUND. The ROUND formula in Excel dialogue box will open as shown below.
- Now you can easily put the arguments and attain a return value. Just put the required values on Number and Num_digits and you will get the return value.
How to Use ROUND Function in Excel with Examples
Let’s look below at some of the examples of the ROUND formula in Excel. These examples will help you in exploring the use of the ROUND function.
Based on the above Excel spreadsheet, let’s consider three examples and see the ROUND function return based on the syntax of the function.
When the ROUND formula for Excel written is =ROUND (A1, 0)
You can see the excel spreadsheet below –
When the ROUND formula for Excel written is =ROUND (A1, 1)
Consider the excel spreadsheet below-
When the ROUND formula for Excel written is =ROUND (A2, -1)
Consider the Excel spreadsheet below –
When the ROUND formula for Excel is written =ROUND (52.2, -1)
You can consider the excel spreadsheet below –
When the ROUND formula for Excel is written =ROUND (-24.57, 1)
You can see the excel spreadsheet below –
Other Rounding Functions in Excel
You can also force Excel to always round a number up (away from zero) with the help of ROUNDUP function. If you want to force Excel to always round a number down (towards zero), use the ROUNDDOWN function in Excel. For specifying the multiple (example 0.5) that Excel is using to round, use the MROUND function in excel.
Things to Remember
- The ROUND function is used to return a number rounded to a specific number of digits.
- The ROUND function is a Math & Trig function.
- The ROUND function works by rounding the numbers 1-4 down and rounding the numbers 5-9 up.
- You can round a number up (away from zero) with the help of ROUNDUP function.
- You can round a number down (towards zero) with the help of the ROUNDDOWN function.
ROUND Excel Function Video
This has been a guide to ROUND Function in Excel. Here we discuss the ROUND Formula in excel and how to use Excel ROUND Function along with excel example and downloadable excel templates. You may also look at these useful functions in excel –