What Does ROUNDUP Function Do in Excel?
ROUNDUP function in excel is an inbuilt function in excel which is used to calculate the rounded value of the number to its highest degree, or in other words it rounds the number away from zero so if the input provided to this function is =ROUNDUP(0.40,1) we will get 0.4 as a result, this function takes two arguments one being the number and another is the number of digits.
As it is clear from the syntax shown above the ROUNDUP formula has two parameters which are as follows:
- Number: The number parameter is a mandatory parameter of the ROUNDUP formula. It defines the floating point number which needs to be rounded up.
- Num_of_digits: This parameter is also mandatory for the ROUNDUP ROUNDUP formula to work. This parameter defines the number of digits you would like to round the provided Number to. This parameter can be positive, negative or zero.
- If Num_of_digits = 0: It means the Number will be rounded up to the nearest integer number.
- If Num_of_digits < 0: It means the Number will be rounded up to the nearest 10, 100, 1000, and so on; depending upon the value of Num_of_digits.
- If Num_of_digits > 0: It means the Number will be rounded up to the number of decimal places defined by the value of Num_of_digits
These conditions will be much clearer with the help of examples explained in the next section.
How to Use ROUNDUP Function in Excel? (with Examples)
In this example we will take the value of Num_of_digits parameter in positive i.e. Num_of_digits >0:
In this example we will take the value of Num_of_digits parameter = 0:
In this example, we will take the value of Num_of_digits parameter < 0:
Things to Remember
- The ROUNDUP formula is just like a ROUND function except it only rounds up the number upward
- Both the parameters of ROUNDUP formula are mandatory and must be integer values in ROUNDUP Function.
- The values of the Num_of_digits parameter should be 1 to 9 only.
- The ROUNDUP formula was first introduced in EXCEL 2013 and is available in all subsequent versions of Excel.
This has been a guide to ROUNDUP Function Excel. Here we discuss the ROUNDUP Formula in excel and how to use ROUNDUP function along with excel example and downloadable excel templates. You may also look at these useful functions in excel –