QUARTILE Function in Excel
It is one of the statistical functions of Excel. The functions are used to find the various quartiles of a data set. A quartile is just a quantile. There are 3 quartiles; the first quartile (Q1) is the middle number between the smallest value and the median value of a data set. The second quartile (Q2) is the median of the data. The third quartile (Q3) is the middle value between the median of the data set and the highest value. Along with quartiles, It can also return the minimum and the maximum value of the data set. The first quartile Q1 divides the lowes
The syntax of the QUARTILE formula is as follows:
As it is clear from the syntax shown above, it has two mandatory parameters, which are explained below:
Data: The first parameter is a data set, which will be required to find out the quartile.
Quartile: The second parameter defines the type of quartile to be returned by the QUARTILE in excel. QUARTILE parameter can have any value from 0 to 4. Depending on the value of the Quartile parameter, the Quartile function returns the respective quartile.
In this section, we will understand the uses of the QUARTILE function in excel and will look at a few examples with the help of actual data.
|Value of Quartile||Return Vaue|
|1||First quartile (also known as 25th Percentile)|
|2||Median Value (or 50th Percentile)|
|3||Third Quartile or 75th Percentile|
|5 to any integer||#NUM! Error|
How to Use the QUARTILE Function in Excel?
This Function is very easy to use, and as explained in the previous section, QUARTILE fuses two mandatory parameters.
QUARTILE in Excel – Example #1
Let’s consider the data set and apply the Quartile function on it on the basis of quartile values 0,1,2,3, and 4.
QUARTILE in Excel – Example #2
Let’s take a larger data set this time, and we will try to find Q1, Q2, Q3, Minimum, and Maximum values.
Things to Remember
- It can be used as a worksheet function.
- It returns a numeric value.
- It was first introduced in Excel 2000 and is now available in all subsequent versions of excel.
- If the value of the Quartile parameter is greater than 4 or less than 0, the function returns a #NUM! Error.
- QUARTILE formulaQUARTILE FormulaQuartile Formula is a statistical tool to calculate the variance from the given data by dividing the same into four defined intervals. First Quartile could be calculated as follows: (Q1) = ((n + 1)/4)th Term. through #NUM! error if the given array is empty.
- QUARTILE function #VALUE! Error if the given value of quart is non-numeric.
QUARTILE Excel Function Video
This has been a guide to QUARTILE Function in Excel. Here we will learn how to use QUARTILE in excel along with excel example and downloadable excel templates. You may also look at these useful functions in excel –