QUARTILE Function in Excel
It is one of the statistical functions of Excel. The functions are used to find the various quartiles of a data set. A quartile is just a quantile. There are three quartiles: the first quartile (Q1) is the middle number between the smallest and median data set values. The second quartile (Q2) is the median of the data. The third quartile (Q3) is the middle value between the median of the data set and the highest value. It can also return the data set’s minimum and maximum values along with quartiles. For example, the first quartile Q1 divides the lowest.
Table of contents
The syntax of the QUARTILE formula is as follows:
As it is clear from the syntax shown above, it has two mandatory parameters, which are explained below:
Data: The first parameter is a data set, which we will require to determine the quartile.
Quartile: The second parameter defines the type of quartile to be returned by the QUARTILE in Excel. The QUARTILE parameter can have any value from 0 to 4. Then, depending on the value of the QUARTILE parameter, the QUARTILE function returns the respective quartile.
QUARTILE Excel Function Video
In this section, we will understand the uses of the QUARTILE function in Excel and look at a few examples with the help of actual data.
|Value of Quartile
|First quartile (also known as 25th Percentile)
|Median Value (or 50th Percentile)
|Third Quartile or 75th Percentile
|5 to any integer
How to Use the QUARTILE Function in Excel?
This function is very easy to use, and as explained in the previous section, QUARTILE fuses two mandatory parameters.
QUARTILE in Excel – Example #1
Let us consider the data set and apply the QUARTILE function based on quartile values 0,1,2,3 and 4.
QUARTILE in Excel – Example #2
Let us take a larger data set this time. We will try to find Q1, Q2, Q3, minimum, and maximum values.
Things to Remember
- It can be used as a worksheet function.
- It returns a numeric value.
- It was first introduced in Excel 2000 and is now available in all subsequent versions of Excel.
- If the value of the QUARTILE parameter is greater than 4 or less than 0, the function returns a #NUM! Error.
- The QUARTILE formulaQUARTILE FormulaQuartile Formula is a statistical tool to calculate the variance from the given data by dividing the same into four defined intervals. First Quartile could be calculated as follows: (Q1) = ((n + 1)/4)th Term. through #NUM! Error if the given array is empty.
- The QUARTILE function #VALUE! Error if the given value of quart is non-numeric.
This article is a guide to QUARTILE Function in Excel. Here, we will learn how to use QUARTILE in Excel along with Excel examples and downloadable Excel templates. You may also look at these useful functions in Excel: –
- VBA Worksheet FunctionVBA Worksheet FunctionThe worksheet function in VBA is used when we need to refer to a specific worksheet. When we create a module, the code runs in the currently active sheet of the workbook, but we can use the worksheet function to run the code in a particular worksheet.
- Excel Mode Formula
- Division Formula in ExcelDivision Formula In ExcelDivide in Excel is used for division applications, where (/) is the symbol and we can write an expression =a/b, where a and b represent two numbers or values to be divided.
- INT in ExcelINT In ExcelINT or integer function in excel returns the nearest integer of a given number and is used when we have many data sets and each data in a different format.