Free Template of a Sales Invoice
A sales invoice template can be used by the companies for invoicing their clients. The sales invoice also displays the shipping details along with other details like the number of goods sold to the client, the price per unit, date of transaction, and so on.
It is used to evaluate the actual bill for the customer that he will need to pay in exchange for the products or services that he has recently purchased from the company.
About the Sales Invoice Template
- The template can be used by the client as a document proof if, in any case, the products purchased by him from the seller company are defective or less in quantity or are of different quality, etc. The customer can also use it for availing the warranty from the supplier or for exchanging the products purchased by him from the latter.
- A template is very resourceful not only for the supplier but for the buyer too. A supplier company can use this template for billing its clients. This invoice will be documentary proof that is used against the exchange of products or for availing the warranty or returning the products and claiming refunds, and so on.
An ideal sales invoice template must bear all the following details-
#1 – Header of the Template:
The seller company must always provide the header to the template and name it as a ‘sales invoice template.’ Providing the header to a template can make it easy for the users to evaluate the purpose and utility of the template.
#2 – Invoice Date and Number:
The users of the template should always make it a point of not forgetting to mention the invoice date and its number. Because it is a sales invoice, failure to mention these details can create a huge ruckus for the users of the same.
#3 – Customer id and Purchase Order:
The seller must also mention the unique customer id issued for each client along with other details like purchase order and his maximum due date of payment to ensure that tracking the client’s payment status is not a task for the company.
#4 – Company’s Details:
The seller must provide its name, address, phone number, registration number, fax, and email id in the sales invoice so that the client and especially the new clients can have full faith in the genuineness of the company.
#5 – Customer’s Details:
The details of the clients are also substantial for the company to provide. The sales invoice might be issued to two companies if at all the billing and shipping are done for two different companies. However, it might also happen that both these companies are the same. The company must offer details of the client like name, address, company name, and contact number.
#6 – Sales Person, Shipping mode, and FOB Point:
Once all the details discussed above are mentioned, the seller will need to provide various other details like salesperson name, PO number, shipping mode, FOB point.
#7 – Sales Description:
The transactions initiated with the customer must be mentioned with due care. The date of sales along with their serial number, description, quantity, the price per unit must be provided for calculating the final total that the customer will be required to pay for the purchases that he has made with the company.
#8 – Line totals, Subtotals, and Final Total:
The user must evaluate the line total by multiplying the quantity of the products purchased along with their price per unit, and then all these line totals must be added to arrive at the sub-total. The sub-total should then be applied with the tax and shipping charges (if any) to arrive at the final total that the client will need to pay.
How to Use this Template?
Following are the steps to use the template:
- A person using the Sales Invoice Template has to enter all the details as required in the fields that are not already Pre-filled.
- Firstly the details pertaining to name, address, zip code, country, contact numbers, email id, and registration number must be mentioned along with the invoice number and the date of invoice as well.
- Once all these details are filled, he must go ahead with filling his customer’s or client’s details like name, address, zip code, country, contact numbers, and email id.
- Once all these details are adequately provided and cross-examined, the user must forward to the billing segment where he will need to mention the date on which the transactions took place, description along with the number of products or services, the price per unit, and accordingly evaluate the line total for each transaction. The line total can simply be ascertained by multiplying the price per unit with the number of products and services.
- Once all these inputs are provided, and the line total is calculated automatically, but the user must cross-verify all these details and calculations. All the line totals must be added to arrive at the subtotal and in that the taxes must be added to arrive at the final amount. The invoice must be duly authorized and provided to the client, and once the payments are cleared, the seller must mention paid in the same.
This article has been a guide to Sales Invoice Template. Here we provide you with a free downloadable sales invoice spreadsheet that is used by the companies for invoicing their clients. Also, you can download and use this template in Excel, Google Sheets, or CSV format.
You can also take a look at our other useful articles-