Excel Functions Tutorials
- Excel Tips
- Excel vs Access
- Excel Rows vs Columns
- Apple Numbers vs Excel
- 3D Reference in Excel
- Absolute Reference in Excel
- Mixed References in Excel
- Excel Reference to Another Sheet
- Array Formulas in Excel
- Arrays in Excel VBA
- Auto Numbering in Excel
- AutoFit in Excel
- AutoCorrect in Excel
- AutoSave in Excel
- AutoRecover in Excel
- Bullet Points in Excel
- Break Links in Excel
- Barcode in Excel
- Change Case in Excel
- CAGR Formula in Excel
- Calculate Age in Excel
- Calculate Percentage in Excel Formula
- Cell Reference in Excel
- Checklist in Excel
- Circular Reference in Excel
- Column Sort in Excel
- Column Lock in Excel
- Move Columns in Excel
- Custom List in Excel
- Consolidate in Excel
- Combine Cells in Excel
- Compare Two Columns in Excel
- Compare and Match Columns in Excel
- Compound Interest Formula in Excel
- Convert Columns to Rows in Excel
- Convert Date to Text in Excel
- Convert Numbers to Text in Excel
- Convert Text to Numbers in Excel
- Convert Excel to CSV
- Count Characters in Excel
- Count Rows in Excel
- Count Unique Values in Excel
- Countif not Blank in Excel
- Create Templates in Excel
- Family Tree in Excel Template
- Custom Number Format in Excel
- Delete Row Shortcut in Excel
- Divide in Excel Formula
- Drop Down List in Excel
- Dynamic Tables in Excel
- Dashboard in Excel
- KPI Dashboard in Excel
- Date to Text in Excel
- Date Format in Excel
- Database in Excel
- Delta Symbol in Excel
- $ Symbol in Excel
- Excel Column to Number
- Edit Drop-Down List in Excel
- Equations in Excel
- Exponents in Excel
- Excel Extensions
- Excel Translate
- Excel Not Responding
- Excel Find and Replace
- Find and Select in Excel
- Excel Subtraction Formula
- Excel Formula for Grade
- Excel as Calculator
- Excel Formula Not Working (Updating)
- Excel Table Styles & Formats
- Excel vs Google Sheets
- External Links in Excel
- Excel Alternate Row Color
- Excel Worksheet Tab
- Extract Number from String Excel
- Evaluate Formula in Excel
- Find Duplicates in Excel
- Finding Links in Excel
- Filter Shortcut in Excel
- Formatting in Excel
- Format Numbers to Millions & Thousands in Excel
- Format Phone Numbers in Excel
- Formula Errors in Excel
- Fractions in Excel
- Frequency Distribution in Excel
- Group in Excel
- Group Worksheets in Excel
- Group Columns in Excel
- Hide Formula in Excel
- Hiding a Column in Excel
- Highlight Every Other Row in Excel
- Highlight Duplicates in Excel
- How to Create a Formula in Excel?
- How to Create an Excel Spreadsheet?
- How to Add Text in Excel Formula?
- How to Create Dashboard in Excel?
- How to Copy Sheet in Excel?
- How to Delete Pivot Table?
- How to Calculate Percentage Increase in Excel?
- How to Multiply in Excel Formula?
- How to Unhide Columns in Excel?
- Insert Date in Excel
- Insert Calendar in Excel
- Import Data into Excel
- Insert Comment in Excel
- Insert Hyperlinks in Excel
- Insert Multiple Rows in Excel
- Insert Row Shortcut in Excel
- Insert New Worksheet in Excel
- Insert (Embed) an Object in Excel
- Insert Image in Excel Cell
- Insert Page Break in Excel
- Line Breaks in Excel
- Linear Interpolation in Excel
- Leading Zeros in Excel
- Last Day of the Month in Excel
- Logical Operators in Excel
- Lookup Table in Excel
- Mortgage Calculator in Excel
- Moving Average in Excel
- Not Equal to in Excel
- Numbering in Excel
- Name Manager in Excel
- Page Numbers in Excel
- Page Break in Excel
- Personal Budget Template in Excel
- Project Management Template in Excel
- Percentage Difference in Excel (Increase / Decrease)
- Pivot Table Calculated Field & Formula
- Pivot Table Sort
- Pivot Table From Multiple Sheets
- Print Comments in Excel
- Print Excel Gridlines
- Print in Excel
- Print Preview in Excel
- Print Area in Excel
- Print Titles in Excel
- Print Labels From Excel
- Project Timeline in Excel
- Protect Sheet in Excel
- Ratio in Excel Formula
- Random Numbers in Excel
- Randomize List in Excel
- Refresh Pivot Table in Excel
- Relative References in Excel
- Remove Blank Rows in Excel
- Remove Duplicates in Excel
- Remove Duplicates from Excel Column
- Remove Hyperlinks in Excel
- Remove Space in Excel
- Remove Leading Spaces in Excel
- Remove Watermark in Excel
- Row Limit in Excel
- Rows and Columns in Excel
- Rows to Columns in Excel
- Row Header in Excel
- Search in Excel
- Search For Text in Excel
- Share an Excel Workbook
- Shortcut to Merge Cells in Excel
- Show Formula in Excel
- Split Cells in Excel
- Separate Text in Excel
- Strikethrough in Excel
- Strikethrough Text in Excel
- Sum by Color in Excel
- Subscript in Excel
- Superscript in Excel
- Themes in Excel
- Timesheet Calculator in Excel
- Top 20 Keyboard Shortcuts in Excel
- Unmerge Cells in Excel
- Uppercase in Excel
- Word Count in Excel
- Word Cloud in Excel
- Watermark in Excel
- Weighted Average in Excel
- Wildcard in Excel
- Financial Functions in Excel (17+)
- Logical Functions in Excel (15+)
- TEXT Functions in Excel (29+)
- Lookup Reference in Excel (44+)
- Maths Functions in Excel (52+)
- Date and Time Function in Excel (22+)
- Statistical Function in Excel (50+)
- Information Functions in Excel (5+)
- Excel Charts (48+)
- Excel Tools (98+)
- VBA (162+)
Custom Number Format Excel (Table of Contents)
- Custom Number Formatting in Excel
- How to Create Custom Number Format in Excel?
How to Custom Format Numbers in Excel
Formatting is nothing but making the data look better or make the data visually more appealing. Excel has many inbuilt number formatting, on top of this we can customize the excel number formatting by changing the format of the numbers.
Excel works on numbers and based on the format we give it shows up the result. For example, look at the below example.
In cell C1, I have a number 43473.
As of now the excel format of the custom number is General.
If you click on the drop-down list there are several built-in number formats are available here, like Number, Currency, Accounting, Date, Short Date, Time, Percentage and many more.
These are all already predefined formatting’s but we can customize all these and make the alternative number formatting and this is called Custom Number Formatting.
How to Create a Custom Number Format in Excel? (Using Shortcut Key)
Normal formatting is available under the Home tab. In order to do the custom formatting, we need to right click on the specific cell and select Format Cells.
The shortcut key to formatting is Ctrl + 1.
Ok, now we will discuss the different types of formattings.
#1 – Date Custom Format
This is the most common formatting we are work with day in day out. Now, look at the below image I have a number in cell C1.
I want to show this number as a date. Select the cell and press Ctrl + 1.
Select Custom format in excel and type the required date format under Type: section.
- DD means date should be first and two digits
- MM means month should be second and two digits
- YYYY means year should be last and four digits
Now hit enter it will show the date in the mentioned format.
Below are some of the important date format codes.
#2 – Time Custom Format
We can customize the format of time as well. Below are the codes for Time format.
If you observe the above table I have not mentioned the code to show the only minute. Since “m” & “mm” coincident with the month we cannot show only minute section.
In the case of time exceeding more than 24 hours, we need to mention the hours in brackets i.e. [hh]
#3 – Number Custom Format
When we are working with numbers it is very important how we show the numbers to the readers. There are several ways we can show up the numbers, below codes will help you in designing your number format.
#4 – Show Thousand Number in K, M, B Format
Showing numbers in lakhs will require a lot of cell space and will not fit in the report sometimes, but we can customize the number format in excel.
#5 – Show Negative Numbers in Brackets & Positive Numbers with + Sign
Showing negative numbers in brackets and positive numbers with the + sign will make the number looks beautiful.
#6 – Show Numbers Hide text Values
Showing only Numerical values and hiding all the text values technique is required sometimes so below code will help you on this.
#7 – Show Numbers With Conditional Colors
I have seen many cases where I wanted to show some values in Blue, some in Green, By changing the number format we can alter the font colors.
Things to Remember about Custom Number Format in Excel
- These are the most commonly used number formats but there are several available on the internet.
- Displaying huge numbers with millions and billions will make the report more appealing. Nobody wants to count the zeros and read rather they like millions and billions in front of the numbers.
- We can show the different numbers in different colors.
This has been a guide to Custom Number Formatting in Excel. Here we discuss the Top 7 Custom Number Formats in Excel along with its excel shortcut keys, practical examples and downloadable templates. You may learn more about excel from the following articles –
- Excel Formatting Numbers to Millions & Thousand
- How to Edit Drop-Down List in Excel?
- Pivot Table Sort in Excel
- Pivot Table in Conditional Formatting
- Using Shortcut Key in Excel
- Using AutoFormat in Excel
- Use Conditional Formatting Based on Another Cell Value
- Tips on Conditional Formatting in Excel
- File Formats in Excel