Comma Style Formatting in Excel
Comma style is a formatting style used in visualizing numbers with commas when the values is over 1000, such as if we use this style on data with value 100000 then the result displayed will be as (100,000), this formatting style can be accessed from the home tab in the number section and click on the 1000 (,) separator which is known as the comma style in excel.
The Comma Style format (also known as the thousands separator) regularly goes with the Accounting format. Like the Accounting position, the Comma arrange embeds commas in bigger numbers to isolate thousands, hundred thousand, millions, and all value considered.
The standard comma style format contains up to two decimal points, a thousand separator, and locks the dollar sign to the extreme left half of the cell. Negative numbers are shown in enclosures. To apply this format in a spreadsheet, feature every single cell and click “Comma Style Format” under formatting choices in excel.
How to Apply Comma Style in Excel (accounting format)?
Lets start the below steps.
- Enter the values in excel to use the comma number format in excel.
- Accounting excel formatAccounting Excel FormatThe accounting number format is the proper currency format with the options to have decimal values, which are by default set as two decimal places and a thousand separator. It locks the dollar sign to the extreme left half of the cell, and the negative numbers are shown in enclosures. can be used in the number format ribbon under first, select the amount cell then click on ribbon home and selecting the comma style from the number format column.
- Once you clicked on the comma style, it will give you the comma-separated format value.
- If you want to remove the decimal, click on to the icon under numbers to decrease decimal
- Once you remove the decimal, below you will able to see the value without decimals.
- Select cells under Amount column then Right Click on it then choose format cells after that choose accounting option under format cell and if you don’t want the decimal places, put 0 with under decimal places. Click Ok.
- Below is the formatted data after removing decimal points.
Excel Shortcuts to Use Comma Style Format
- Select the cells which you want to format.
- Press the Alt key that enables the commands on the Excel ribbon.
- Press H to select the Home tab in the Excel ribbonExcel RibbonThe ribbon is an element of the UI (User Interface) which is seen as a strip that consists of buttons or tabs; it is available at the top of the excel sheet. This option was first introduced in the Microsoft Excel 2007., it enables the Home tab of Excel.
- Press 9 to decrease the decimal and press 0 to increase the decimal point in values.
- If you want to open the format cells dialogue, press Ctrl+1.
- If you want to show a monetary value without a currency symbol, you can click None under option format cells.
- Similar to the Currency format, the Accounting group is utilized for financial qualities. In any case, this arrangement adjusts the decimal purposes of numbers in a section. Likewise, the Accounting design shows zeros as dashes and negative numbers in brackets. Like the Currency organizes, you can determine what number of decimal spots you need and whether to utilize a thousand separator. You can’t change the default show of negative numbers except if you make a custom number organization.
- It helps you to format the number when you are dealing with currency.
- It gives you help in showing the correct value with commas.
- It is just one step process.
- Very easy and convenient to use.
- It always gives you the number format with a thousand separators.
- It gives you the decimal points of two places while using this function.
Things to Remember
- Rather than choosing a range of cells, you can likewise tap on the letter over a column to choose the whole column or the number next to a column to select a whole row. You can likewise tap the little box to one side of “A” or above “1” to choose the whole spreadsheet at once.
- Always check if you don’t need a comma, remove it.
- Decimal is also the user choice if want to put a decimal in values or not.
- A custom Excel number format changes just the visual representation, for example how value is shown in a cell. The basic value put away in a cell isn’t changed.
- The comma excels format is a default option to show numbers with a comma in the thousands place and include two decimal places (Ex: “13000” becomes “13,000.00). This will also enable to change the visible cell styles in an area of the ribbon so you can easily select different options for comma and display format as required in your sheet.
This has been a guide to Comma Style in Excel. Here we discuss how to use comma style format in excel using shortcut keys along with examples and downloadable excel template. You may learn more about excel from the following articles –