Excel Functions Tutorials
- Excel Tips
- Excel vs Access
- Excel Rows vs Columns
- Apple Numbers vs Excel
- 3D Reference in Excel
- Absolute Reference in Excel
- Mixed References in Excel
- Excel Reference to Another Sheet
- Array Formulas in Excel
- Arrays in Excel VBA
- Auto Numbering in Excel
- AutoFit in Excel
- AutoCorrect in Excel
- AutoSave in Excel
- AutoRecover in Excel
- Bullet Points in Excel
- Break Links in Excel
- Barcode in Excel
- Change Case in Excel
- CAGR Formula in Excel
- Calculate Age in Excel
- Calculate Percentage in Excel Formula
- Cell Reference in Excel
- Checklist in Excel
- Circular Reference in Excel
- Column Sort in Excel
- Column Lock in Excel
- Move Columns in Excel
- Custom List in Excel
- Consolidate in Excel
- Combine Cells in Excel
- Compare Two Columns in Excel
- Compare and Match Columns in Excel
- Compound Interest Formula in Excel
- Convert Columns to Rows in Excel
- Convert Date to Text in Excel
- Convert Numbers to Text in Excel
- Convert Text to Numbers in Excel
- Convert Excel to CSV
- Count Characters in Excel
- Count Rows in Excel
- Count Unique Values in Excel
- Countif not Blank in Excel
- Create Templates in Excel
- Family Tree in Excel Template
- Custom Number Format in Excel
- Delete Row Shortcut in Excel
- Divide in Excel Formula
- Drop Down List in Excel
- Dynamic Tables in Excel
- Dashboard in Excel
- KPI Dashboard in Excel
- Date to Text in Excel
- Date Format in Excel
- Database in Excel
- Delta Symbol in Excel
- $ Symbol in Excel
- Excel Column to Number
- Edit Drop-Down List in Excel
- Equations in Excel
- Exponents in Excel
- Excel Extensions
- Excel Translate
- Excel Not Responding
- Excel Find and Replace
- Find and Select in Excel
- Excel Subtraction Formula
- Excel Formula for Grade
- Excel as Calculator
- Excel Formula Not Working (Updating)
- Excel Table Styles & Formats
- Excel vs Google Sheets
- External Links in Excel
- Excel Alternate Row Color
- Excel Worksheet Tab
- Extract Number from String Excel
- Evaluate Formula in Excel
- Find Duplicates in Excel
- Finding Links in Excel
- Filter Shortcut in Excel
- Formatting in Excel
- Format Numbers to Millions & Thousands in Excel
- Format Phone Numbers in Excel
- Formula Errors in Excel
- Fractions in Excel
- Frequency Distribution in Excel
- Group in Excel
- Group Worksheets in Excel
- Group Columns in Excel
- Hide Formula in Excel
- Hiding a Column in Excel
- Highlight Every Other Row in Excel
- Highlight Duplicates in Excel
- How to Create a Formula in Excel?
- How to Create an Excel Spreadsheet?
- How to Add Text in Excel Formula?
- How to Create Dashboard in Excel?
- How to Copy Sheet in Excel?
- How to Delete Pivot Table?
- How to Calculate Percentage Increase in Excel?
- How to Multiply in Excel Formula?
- How to Unhide Columns in Excel?
- Insert Date in Excel
- Insert Calendar in Excel
- Import Data into Excel
- Insert Comment in Excel
- Insert Hyperlinks in Excel
- Insert Multiple Rows in Excel
- Insert Row Shortcut in Excel
- Insert New Worksheet in Excel
- Insert (Embed) an Object in Excel
- Insert Image in Excel Cell
- Insert Page Break in Excel
- Line Breaks in Excel
- Linear Interpolation in Excel
- Leading Zeros in Excel
- Last Day of the Month in Excel
- Logical Operators in Excel
- Lookup Table in Excel
- Mortgage Calculator in Excel
- Moving Average in Excel
- Not Equal to in Excel
- Numbering in Excel
- Name Manager in Excel
- Page Numbers in Excel
- Page Break in Excel
- Personal Budget Template in Excel
- Project Management Template in Excel
- Percentage Difference in Excel (Increase / Decrease)
- Pivot Table Calculated Field & Formula
- Pivot Table Sort
- Pivot Table From Multiple Sheets
- Print Comments in Excel
- Print Excel Gridlines
- Print in Excel
- Print Preview in Excel
- Print Area in Excel
- Print Titles in Excel
- Print Labels From Excel
- Project Timeline in Excel
- Protect Sheet in Excel
- Ratio in Excel Formula
- Random Numbers in Excel
- Randomize List in Excel
- Refresh Pivot Table in Excel
- Relative References in Excel
- Remove Blank Rows in Excel
- Remove Duplicates in Excel
- Remove Duplicates from Excel Column
- Remove Hyperlinks in Excel
- Remove Space in Excel
- Remove Leading Spaces in Excel
- Remove Watermark in Excel
- Row Limit in Excel
- Rows and Columns in Excel
- Rows to Columns in Excel
- Row Header in Excel
- Search in Excel
- Search For Text in Excel
- Share an Excel Workbook
- Shortcut to Merge Cells in Excel
- Show Formula in Excel
- Split Cells in Excel
- Separate Text in Excel
- Strikethrough in Excel
- Strikethrough Text in Excel
- Sum by Color in Excel
- Subscript in Excel
- Superscript in Excel
- Themes in Excel
- Timesheet Calculator in Excel
- Top 20 Keyboard Shortcuts in Excel
- Unmerge Cells in Excel
- Uppercase in Excel
- Word Count in Excel
- Word Cloud in Excel
- Watermark in Excel
- Weighted Average in Excel
- Wildcard in Excel
- Financial Functions in Excel (17+)
- Logical Functions in Excel (15+)
- TEXT Functions in Excel (29+)
- Lookup Reference in Excel (44+)
- Maths Functions in Excel (52+)
- Date and Time Function in Excel (22+)
- Statistical Function in Excel (50+)
- Information Functions in Excel (5+)
- Excel Charts (48+)
- Excel Tools (98+)
- VBA (162+)
Delta Symbol in Excel (Table of Contents)
- Insert Option
- Shortcut Key
- By Changing the Font Name
- CHAR Formula
- Using Excel AutoCorrect Feature
- Custom Number Formatting
What is Excel Delta Symbol (Δ)?
Numbers not only shown as numbers in the dashboard but with some sort of symbols to represent them. A typical way of showing numbers with the symbol is with conditional formatting based on numbers. One more way of showing numbers with visuals is “Delta” symbol (Δ). In today’s article, we will show you how to insert a delta symbol in excel and how to work with them in detail.
How to Insert Delta Symbol in Excel?
In excel we have multiple ways to insert delta symbol. Now we will show you all the ways of inserting a delta symbol in excel.
Method #1 – Insert Delta from Insert Option
Excel has many symbols in its arsenal. Using Insert option we can insert delta symbol very quickly. Follow below steps to insert DELTA symbol from Insert tab in excel.
Step 1: Go to Insert tab. Under Insert tab find Symbols and Symbol.
Step 2: Now we will see below symbols window.
Step 3: Form Subset drop-down list choose Greek & Coptic. As soon as you select this option we can see Delta symbol.
Next click on Insert to insert the delta symbol.
As we got the Delta symbol in cell A1. This delta symbol looks like a triangle symbol with a center filled with nothing.
To insert the delta symbol with filled black color in the middle, in the symbols window select “Geometric Shapes” under Sub Set and under Font select “Arial”.
As we can see it has a delta symbol with a center filled with black color.
Method #2 – Insert Delta by Shortcut Key
The quick way to insert a Delta symbol with the shortcut is by using the shortcut key in excel. To insert the second delta symbol i.e. “triangle with filled color” we need to use the following keys.
Select the excel cell that you want to insert the delta symbol. Now hold ALT key and press 30 from number keypad in your keyboard.
Method #3 – Insert Delta by Changing the Font Name
We can also insert a Delta symbol without any filled color by changing the font name. First, enter the text “D” in the targeted cell.
Now change the font name to “Symbol” to get the delta symbol without fill in the center.
So we got a delta symbol. So text value “D” is equal to delta symbol in the font name “Symbol”.
Method #4 – Insert Delta by CHAR Formula
As you are aware in excel we have Char function to insert special characters with numbers supplied to it.
In the targeted cell open Char function.
Enter the number as 114 and hit enter to get the character as “r”.
Now change the font name to “Wingdings 3” to get delta symbol without fill.
To get the delta symbol with center fill change the Char function number from 114 to 112.
So number 112 in Char function is delta with fill.
Method #5 – Insert Delta by Using Excel AutoCorrect Feature
Probably most of the people are not aware of Excel’s autocorrect feature. Using this feature we can insert delta symbol by entering the text as per our wish.
In settings, we need to specify the text that we need to type. Follow the below steps to insert delta through autocorrect option.
Step 1: Copy the delta symbol from here Δ.
Step 2: Now in excel click on File >>> Options.
Step 3: In the next window go to “Proofing” and AutoCorrect Options.
Step 4: Now in the below window paste the copied delta symbol in “With” box.
Step 5: In the Replace box type the text as per your wish.
Step 6: Now click on the “Add” button to add to Autocorrect Option then click on Ok and close the window.
Step 7: Now come back to worksheet and type “ABCD” in capital letters then hit the enter key and see what value we get in cell A1.
Instead of getting “ABCD” we got delta symbol here.
Since we have set the autocorrect option of typing the text “ABCD” we set the autocorrect value as a delta.
Method #6 – Custom Number Formatting with Delta Symbol
In dashboard creation, we have seen delta symbols with different colors. We will show simple data with how to insert delta symbols in excel using a custom number format
For this data first, find the variance column.
To find variance column insert the formula as Variance = Actual – Target
Now select variance data and press Ctrl + 1 to open format option.
In the format, the window goes to Custom and type General Δ.
Hit Ok, we will get delta symbol with numbers.
But this isn’t the ideal way of showing the delta symbol.
For both positive and negative number are showing with an upward delta symbol, so we need to show positive variance numbers in the upward delta and negative variance numbers in the downward delta.
To apply this copy these two delta symbols. ▲▼
Select the variance column and open format dialogue box then go to Custom and apply format like the below.
Press Ok to apply the formatting. Now we will see upward delta symbol for positive variance and downward delta symbol for the negative variance.
Still, we can apply colorful formatting for this variance numbers. If the variance is positive then we can apply Green color and for negative variance values, we can apply RED color.
So, for this below is the formatting code.
This will apply the formatting as below.
Things to Remember
- Delta symbol comes in two ways one is filled delta and another one is empty delta.
- CHAR function can insert both kinds of delta symbols in excel.
- Delta symbol is used in dashboard creating with eye-catching colors.
- ALT + 30 is the shortcut to insert delta symbol in excel.
This has been a guide to Delta Symbol in Excel. Here we discuss the top 6 methods to insert Delta symbol in excel including Insert option, Char formula, Shortcut key, etc. with examples and downloadable excel template. You may learn more about excel from the following articles –