Radio buttons or also known options buttons in excel are used to record a user’s input in excel, they are available in the insert section of the developer’s tab, for any criteria there can be multiple radio buttons but only a single button can be checked rather than multiple options, to insert a radio button we need to click on the insert command and we can then draw it in any cell we want.
Radio Button in Excel
A Radio Button in Excel also called the Options Button is used to select one of the various options. We have seen it on hundreds of web pages where we are asked to select an option by clicking on a small round shape next to the text. As soon as we select it, it gets a black dot in it (an indication that is marked).
How to Insert a Radio Button in Excel?
To insert a radio button in Excel, we must have the ‘Developer’ tab. To get the same, steps are:
- Right-clicking anywhere on the ribbon.
- Choose ‘Customize the Ribbon in Excel‘ from the list. This will open the ‘Excel Options’ Dialog box. On the right side, make sure the checkbox for the Developer tab is ticked and then click on ‘OK’.
- Developer tab is now visible.
To insert the radio button in excel we will choose the ‘Insert’ option in the Controls group on the Developer tab.
After choosing Radio Button from the Form Controls in excel, click anywhere on the worksheet, Option Button in excel will be created.
As we can see the caption (label) for the options button is by default ‘Option Button 1’. We can rename this by right-clicking and choosing ‘Edit Text’.
We can also resize the Options Button along with the Gridlines of the cells. To do the same, the ALT key is very helpful. While pressing the ALT key, if we resize the Option Button in excel, then it is automatically adjusted along with gridlines.
4.9 (1,353 ratings) 35+ Courses | 120+ Hours | Full Lifetime Access | Certificate of Completion
As the name itself indicates, we create option/radio buttons in Excel to choose one of the various options that is why only one option button in excel is not enough. We need to create more. That we can create using Ctrl+D or using Copy-Paste (Ctrl+C and Ctrl+V).
There is a main feature of an Option Button in excel that if we select one, others are deselected automatically. How can we get to know, which one is selected? For this, we need to link the options buttons with a cell, where sequence number of the options button in excel is displayed and we can use this number for the different type of purpose (dynamic chart in excel, to display a message, etc.)
In the ‘Format Control‘ Dialog box, under the ‘Control’ tab, please select the cell link and click on OK.
Now the value of the C2 cell gets changed according to the options button in excel selected.
As we can observe, all option buttons in excel are linked to only one cell and to each other. However, what if we have 10 questions in a survey, and there are 4 options for each question, then we want to have 10 answers. In that case, we need to have a ‘Group box’ to group the option buttons in excel. The same can be found in the Developer Tab -> Controls group -> Insert Command – Group Box (Form Control).
We need to cover all 5 options buttons in the excel group box.
We can delete the label of the Group box using the ‘Edit Text’ contextual command, ‘Delete’ button, and resize the group box using the ALT key.
In the same way, we can create more option buttons in excel and group boxes.
Create Dynamic Chart Using Radio Buttons in Excel (Options Buttons)
Suppose, we have procurement data of an organization as below:
We need to make a dynamic chart so that if the user wants to view the chart based on either Production Volume or Production Cost, he can.
- We first need to copy the first column of the table except ‘Total Row’ to a new range
- Then we will create two option buttons in excel captioned as ‘Production Volume’ and ‘Production Cost’.
- We will link the Options buttons to ‘C1’
- Now we will use the value of C1 cell (1 for Production Volume and 2 for Production Cost) for displaying the data in the 2nd table and then making the dynamic chart.
- We have used the ‘=INDEX($A$2:$C$12,ROWS($E$2:E2),$C$1+1)’ formula for range ‘F2:F12’ for showing data according to the selection of the radio button in Excel. (learn more about Index Excel Function and Row function in excel)
We can copy the formatting of the last column of table 1 using copy and Paste Special –> Format command.
- Now using the new table, we can create the ‘Clustered Column’ chart using Insert tab -> Charts Group -> Recommended Charts -> Clustered Column excel chart Make sure you follow these steps after selecting the new table. We will be formatting the chart according to our choice.
- Now we will adjust Option Buttons in excel and wrap the location of them with Cells Borders and make font color as white of the C1 cell so that this is not displayed to the user (User does not get confused). He should be shown only the required information.
Now whatever we select ‘Production Volume’ or ‘Production Cost’, the data in the table and chart is displayed accordingly.
Changing Cell Background Color with Radio Buttons in Excel using ActiveX Control
Steps to do the same
- We need to create 3 ActiveX Radio button using Developer tab -> Controls Group -> Insert Command -> Option Button ActiveX Control
- Please copy the first radio button using Ctrl+C and paste 2 two times using Ctrl+V. You can resize the Options buttons in excel using the ALT key.
- Now we need to change the caption and name for all 3 radio buttons in excel using the contextual menu. Make sure the Design Mode is activated. In the Contextual menu, choose Properties and then change the (Name) and Caption using ‘Properties’ dialogue box.
Radio Button using Excel VBA
- Double click on each ‘Radio Button in excel’ to enter into the coding area and paste the following code in between the Sub procedure.
For ‘Red’ Radio Button in Excel
Range(“b2”).Interior.Color = 255
For ‘Green’ Radio Button in Excel
Range(“b2”).Interior.Color = 5296274
For ‘Please choose one of the colour’ radio button in excel
MsgBox “Choose one of the colour”
- Save the Excel Workbook with .xlsm extension.
Now, if we click on the red, background color of the B2 cell changes to ‘Red’ and if we select on the green, then background color of the B2 cell changes to ‘Green’ and if we select 3rd radio button in Excel, then a message box is displayed showing the message ‘Choose one of the colors’.
This has been a guide to what is Radio Button (OptionsButton) in Excel. Here we provide a step by step guide to insert Radio Button (Options Button) using Form Control and ActiveX Control along with practical examples and downloadable templates. You may also look at these useful tools in excel –