Excel Sentence Case
Sentence Case in Excel is the feature in excel to change the text case. To change the sentence case from upper to lower case we use some functions or formula in excel. They are,
and Proper() Functions.
How to Change Sentence Case in Excel?
As discussed above the sentence case has 3 built-in functions in it. The usage of the three functions as discussed as follows.
- Upper(): Upper function is used to convert the text into the upper case from any other case
- Lower(): Lower function is used to convert the text into the lower case from any other case.
- Proper(): Proper function is used to convert the text which is in mixed form ie., the text which is in the improper case can be converted to the proper case like the starting alphabet of the names will have all caps letters.
In this example, we will discuss the upper() Function.
- Step 1: Take data into the excel sheet as shown below.
- Step 2: Insert the formula to be used in the adjacent cell of the data or where there is a requirement of the data and select the list or array of the data that is to be changed.
Hereafter writing the function needs to pass the data as the argument. As we see in the upper () function the argument is text, we need to pass the data as the argument. Here we are passing the first word “January” as the argument to be converted into upper case.
- Step 3: Now click on Enter. The data will be corrected into the upper case. This is as shown in the below screenshot.
The next step is to drag the cursor down from JANUARY so that the formula can be applied for the remaining data also.
This can be as shown below.
Here the complete data is converted into upper case.
In this example, we will convert the text into the lower case by using the lower() function.
- Step 1: Take the data into the excel sheet.
- Step 2: In this step, we need to insert the formula in the adjacent of the data or where ever there is the necessity and pass the data as the argument as shown in the below figure.
In this screenshot, the function is inserted as “phone” is passed as the argument and then close the braces and press Enter.
- Step 3: After clicking Enter, the data will be converted to lower case. This can be shown in below screenshot. Now drag the cursor down to get the formula applied for all the data as well.
In this example, we will deal with the Proper() case function.
- Step 1: Insert the data into the cells as shown below.
- Step 2: Now enter the Proper() function in the adjacent cell and then pass the data as the argument.
- Step 3: Now click on enter. The data will be now changed into the proper case. This can be shown below.
- Step 4: Now drag down the formula to complete data and then all the data is converted.
This function will make the first alphabet of the first word in a sentence will make as upper case and all the other text into lower case.
In the above screenshot, I have entered a text, now I will convert the data into sentence case by applying formula.
In the above screenshot, I am applying the formula to be converted into sentence case. The first alphabet would be in upper case the rest of the text would be in lower case.
After clicking the enter the text will be as shown below.
The text is converted to sentence case now.
We will see one more example of a sentence case function in excel.
- Step 1: Enter the text in the excel sheet.
Here the text is mixed of upper and lowercase letters in between. The sentence case function can be applied to them.
- Step 2: After applying the formula click on enter. The first alphabet would be upper case and the other text would be in lower case.
- Step 3: Now click on enter.
The text is completely changed into the sentence case format. This can also be done for a series of data just by dragging the cursor downwards so that formula can be applied to all the data.
Points to Remember
- The requirement of this function is to convert the text to the required format either to lower, upper or proper case.
- Unlike Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel does not have the button to change the sentence case. Hence, we use functions to change the case of the text.
- The main point to be remembered is that the formula or function can be applied only in the other cell but not in the same cell. Another column should be inserted in between the columns to write the function.
- The text can include some symbols also in between the names when applying the formula. For example: If the name is William D’ Orean. This can also be corrected.
- Likewise in Microsoft Word, Excel does not have the one-click button for sentence case, Hence we are writing formula by combining left, upper, right, lower functions to achieve the goal.
This has been a guide to Sentence Case in Excel. Here we discuss how to change sentence case in excel using Upper, Lower and Proper formulas along with practical examples. You may learn more about excel from the following articles –