What is a Format Painter in Excel?
Format Painter in Excel is a tool which is used to copy the same format of a cell or a group of cells to the other cells. It is located on the home tab in the clipboard section, to copy the format the cells containing the format is to be selected first and then we click on the format painter button and then select the cells which we want to format.
We often copy the content of cells but ever wondered how we can copy only the formatting of the cell and that too without copying the value of the cell. Yes, this is possible to copy and paste only the formatting of one cell to another cell with the help of a format painter.
- Using a format painter tool we can copy the look of one cell or of the complete range of the cells and paste that onto other cells or range.
- Format painter is the inbuilt tool of excel that belongs to the formatting class of functions. This tool can be used to copy the border, font style, the color of the cell, adjusting the width of the cell and all the interiors of the cells to another cell that is not at all formatted or formatted in a way that is not desired.
- The great thing that comes with the format painter is this, that its use is not restricted to a single cell. We can use the format painter on the complete workbook to get it formatted like the other workbook.
- The format of the worksheet maybe a border on the header, separate color on negative numbers, and much more. Now if we have already created a workbook that is in the required format, we can always use the format painter tool and simply make the raw workbook as the formatted workbook with the help of format painter.
So, now we do not need to spend time on formatting a workbook again and again as we have the format painter tool in excel.
How to Use Format Painter in Excel?
Example #1 – Formatting the Cells in Excel
In this method, we will copy the formatting of the range to another range.
Step 1: Select the range that is formatted.
Step 2: Go to the “Home “Tab. From the home tab, there will be the option of format painter.
Click on this option and then select the range where the format has to be applied. After the formatting is applied we will get the range formatted as an original.
Example #2 – Formatting the Conditional Formatted Data
In this method, we can use the format painter to apply the conditional formatting from one range to another range of cells.
Step 1: Select the Range of data and Click on Format Painter.
The steps will be the same as explained above, but the only difference is that in this case we also copy the conditional formatting of the cells.
Example #3 – Formatting the Shape of Object
In this method, we will format the object.
Step 1: Insert the shape.
A shape can be inserted by going to the “INSERT” tab and choosing the required shape.
Step 2: Now select the shape that has all the formatting as we need and click on format painter.
Step 3: Now select the shape that needs to be formatted in excel and all the formatting will be copied on to the shape.
Example #4- Format Painter on a Complete Worksheet
In this case, we will format the complete workbook instead of a single cell or range.
Step 1: Select the complete workbook that is already formatted or has the properties that are required and then click on the format painter option.
Step 2: Select the worksheet that wants to be Formated then, it will be automatically applied.
Things to Remember
- While using format painter this should be remembered that all the properties/Format of one cell will be applied to the new location and we do not have the option of choosing what format has to be applied or not.
- After we have formatted the new location, the option of format the painter will disappear. To format more than one location we need to double click on format painter option as this will keep the function alive until we choose to turn it off by pressing key “ESC”.
- If we are formatting a complete worksheet by using format painter then this should be remembered that both the sheets should have the same data in the same location. This means that if row 1st has 10 headers and another sheet has only 9 headers then all 10 will be formatted. So we will have one Header extra that is formatted but will no data in it.
- Format painter in Excel can also be used from paste specials options.
This has been a guide to Format Painter in Excel. Here we discuss how to use the Format Painter on cells, Shape of Object, Conditional Formatting along with practical examples, and a downloadable template. You may learn more about excel from the following articles –