When we work in excel it is not definite that data will be in a single worksheet, it can be in multiple worksheets in multiple tables, if we want to merge tables there are various methods to do that so that we can have data in a single table and this is known as merging tables in excel, this can be done by using VLOOKUP or INDEX and MATCH functions.
Merge Tables in Excel
Sometimes while analyzing the data, we might gather all the necessary information in a single worksheet. It’s a very common problem or situation when data is divided across many worksheets or workbooks. There are many ways to merge the data from multiple tables into one table in excelTable In ExcelIn excel, tables are a range with data in rows and columns, and they expand when new data is inserted in the range in any new row or column in the table. To use a table, click on the table and select the data range..
How to Merge 2 Tables in Excel?
We have given Customer data city wise in two tables. We have taken 20 records for this.
Sheet 1: Table 1: CustomerInfo
Sheet 2: Table 2: ProductDetails
In both the tables, Order No. is the common information on which basis we will create a relationship between them.
Below are the steps for merging these two tables:
- Click on any cell in the Customer Info table. Go to the INSERT tab and click on the Table option under the Tables section. Refer to the below screenshot.
- Then Create a table dialog box will appear. Our table “CustomerInfo” has column headers; hence the checkbox “My table has headers” should be checked. Refer to the below screenshot.
- It will convert our data into a table format. Now, click on the Table Name field under the Properties section and give the name of this table as “Customer_info.”
- Follow the same steps for another table, “ProductDetails.” We have given the name “Products” to another table. Refer to the below screenshot.
- Click on somewhere on the Customer_Info table then, Go to the Insert tab, and click on the Pivot Table option under the Tables section.
- A dialog box for Create Pivot Table will appear. Tick on Checkbox “Add this data to the Data Model,” as shown in the below screenshot.
- Click on OK then; it will open a new sheet with a new Pivot Table Fields section on the right side, as shown in the below screenshot.
- Click on the ALL tab in the Pivot Table Field section, and it will display all the tables created by us. Refer to the below screenshot.
- Now click on the Relationships option under the Calculations section, as shown in the below screenshot.
- It will open a dialog box for creating a relationship between these tables. Click on the New button. Refer to the below screenshot.
- It will again open a dialog box as shown below, and created tables are listed here.
- As there is one field, “Order No.” is common in both the tables, hence we will create a relationship between these tables by using this common field/column.
- Select Customer_Info under Tables section and Order No. field under the Column Section. Refer to the below screenshot.
- Select another table Products under the Related table section and select Order No. field under the Related column section. Refer to the below screenshot.
- Primary Key is the unique values that appear once in the table then, Click on OK. It will display the relationship, as shown in the below screenshot.
- Now we can drag & drop the field accordingly to see the result. Click on the Customer_Info table, as shown in the below screenshot.
- Drag fields Order No. , Customer Name, and the city under the row box.
- Drag Age field under Filter box.
- Drag Product field under Column Box and Values box for the count of products.
The final result is below:
Accordingly, as per your requirement, you can drag & drop the fields.
Things to Remember About Merge 2 Tables in Excel
- You can merge more than two tables using this process.
- There should be one column common in each table.
- That one common column will work as a primary key in this process; hence this field should have unique values.
This has been a guide to Merge Tables in Excel. Here we discuss how to Merge 2 Tables in Excel by matching a column along with practical examples and a downloadable excel template. You may learn more about excel from the following articles –