What is 3D Scatter Plot Chart in Excel?
Scatter Plot chart is often referred to as XY chart in excel because of two kinds of data which are related to each other in nature. We will have two sets of data and those numbers are not just numbers rather they will have a relationship between two. To show those two sets of numbers graphically in excel we have a chart called “Scatter Plot Chart” but in this article, we will show you how to create “3D Scattered Plot Chart in Excel”.
Where to Find the 3D Scatter Plot in Excel?
Scatter plot in excel is an in-built chart which is located under the Insert ribbon tab.
Go to Insert > Chart > Scatter Chart
How to Create 3D Scatter Plot in Excel? (with Example)
To create a Scatter Plot XY Chart in excel, we need data that is interrelated in nature. So, I have created the below data which has a relationship between two.
Here we have two sets of data on a monthly basis first one is “Campaigns Sent” and “Revenue” earned in the same month.
Here these two data sets are reacted to each other because to earn a revenue marketing campaigns plays a major role, so our data has a number of campaigns sent and revenue earned from those campaigns in the month.
We can plot the relationship between these two numbers through Scattered Plot Chart. Follow the below steps to create a scattered plot chart.
- Step 1: Select the data and go to Insert tab and choose Scattered Chart.
- Step 2: Now we will have the first look of the chart like the below.
- Step 3: This isn’t the ready chart straight forward, we need to make some setting with this chart. Right-click on the chart and choose the “Select Data” option.
- Step 4: In the below window select “Campaigns Sent” and hit the “Remove” option.
- Step 5: In the same window select “Revenue” and click on “Edit”.
- Step 6: In the below window for “Series X Values” choose Campaigns data.
- Step 7: We will have a chart like below one.
- Step 8: Now click on a bubble to select and press Ctrl + 1 to open the format data series dialogue box to the right of the chart.
- Step 9: Click on “Effects” and “3-D Format”.
- Step 10: Under 3-D Format select “circle” type top bevel.
- Step 11: Now go to Fill & Line and choose “Marker”.
- Step 12: Under the option of Marker Choose Vary Colours by Point. This will add a different kind of colors to each bubble. Then in the same option go to Marker Options > Built-in and the Size = 25.
- Step 13: Now our every bubble increased by size and has different colors to it.
- Step 14: Now select the chart we will see Plus icon to the right of the chart. It will open up “Chart Elements”, click on Axis Titles, now we can see both a “Horizontal” and “Vertical” axis we can see “Axis Title” default value.
- Step 15: On the vertical axis type the vertical axis text as “Revenue” and on the horizontal axis type the horizontal axis text as “Campaigns”.
- Step 16: Change the Chart Heading to Campaign vs Revenue.
Ok, now our 3D Scattered Plot is ready in excel, let’s interpret numbers from this chart now. The first bubble represents “Jan” month and in this month campaign sent was 2 and the revenue generated was 2096 dollars. The second one is “Feb” month now we can see a slight impact of the campaign on revenue here, in “Feb” total campaign sent was just 1 and revenue is 2008 dollars.
Now look at the third bubble this is for “Mar” month in this month total campaigns sent number is 8 and revenue increased to 4025 dollars, so like this from this chart we can show a relationship between campaigns sent and revenue generated.
So, the bottom line is when the campaigns sent number increases, revenue generation also increases.
Things to Remember
- 3D Scattered plot chart in excel is mainly used for showing the relationship between two sets of data related to each other in nature.
- The scattered chart has X & Y variables.
- This chart is useful when we need to show the related data like “Rain Fall vs Umbrellas Sold”, “Rain Fall vs Crops Sold”, “Advertisement vs Revenue”.
This has been a guide to 3D Scatter Plot in Excel. Here we discuss how to create 3D Scatter Plot Chart in Excel (XY Chart) with examples and a downloadable excel template. You may learn more about excel from the following articles –