Radar chart in excel is also known as the spider chart in excel or Web or polar chart in excel, it is used to demonstrate data in two dimensional for two or more than two data series, the axes start on the same point in radar chart, this chart is used to do comparison between more than one or two variables, there are three different types of radar charts available to use in excel.
What is Radar Chart in Excel (Spider Chart)
The radar chart in excel visualizes the performance and makes visible concentrations of strengths and weaknesses.
Different Types of Radar Chart in Excel
#1 Radar Chart
Display values relative to a center point. It is best used when the categories are not directly comparable. Given below is the example of this type of chart.
#2 Radar Chart with Markers
Very similar to the earlier type but the only difference is it has markers in each data point. Given below is the example for this type of chart.
#3 Radar Chart with fills (Filled Spider Chart)
Everything remains the same as shown in the previous two types but it fills the color to the entire radar. Given below is the example of this type of chart.
How to Understand the Radar Chart?
Like in the column chart in the spider chart in excel, also we have the X & Y-axis. The x-axis is nothing but each end of the spider and each step of the spider considered as the Y-axis. In the below-given image circles which are marked in orange are X-axis and circles which are marked in blue are Y-axis. The Zero-point of the radar chart in excel starts from the center of the wheel. Towards the edge of the spike, a point reaches, the higher the value.
How to Create Radar Chart in Excel?
Radar Chart in Excel is very simple and easy to use. Let understand the working of some Radar Chart examples.
Radar Chart Example #1 – Sales Analysis in 4 different quarters
Step 1: Create Data in the below format. The below data shows quarterly sales performance over a period of 10 years. So now, let us present this in a spider chart.
4.9 (1,353 ratings) 35+ Courses | 120+ Hours | Full Lifetime Access | Certificate of Completion
Step 2: Go to Insert tab in excel > Other Charts > Select Radar with Marker chart. This will insert a blank Radar Chart in Excel.
Step 3: Right click on the chart and select below.
Click on Add button
Select Series name as Q-1 and Series value as values click ok.
Again repeat this procedure for all the quarters and after that, your screen should look like this.
After this click on OK and chart will be inserted and below is the illustration of how the radar chart in excel looks before formatting.
Step 4: Format the Chart as per our wish.
Right-click on each line and change the line color, change the marker style option as per your needs. Add chart titles to tell the user what it is. And finally, your and chart will look like this.
Interpretation of the data:
- By looking at the outset of the spider we can clearly find out in 2012 Q1 revenue was the highest among all the 10 years revenue. And in 2011 Q1 revenue was the lowest.
- In Q2 the highest revenue was in 2011 and the lowest point is the year 2014.
- In Q3 the highest revenue was in 2009 and the lowest revenue was in 2010.
- In Q4 the highest revenue was in 2011 and the lowest revenue occurred year is 2012
- In none of the years, there is a consistent growth of the revenue over 4 quarters. There is always volatility in revenue generation across quarters.
Additionally, You can remove the lines of the chart but highlight only the markers. Advanced formatting is always a treat to watch.
- Select each line and press Ctrl + 1 > Line Colour > Select no line.
- Select marker options > select built-in > choose the color as per your wish.
- Repeat this for all the lines. Make sure you select different marker colors but the same markers.
- Click on spider lines and press Ctrl + 1 > Line Colour > Solid Line > Select the colour.
- Select line style > Dash Type > Select dotted lines.
- Select background colour from the format tab.
- So your chart looks beautifully like the below one.
Radar Chart Example #2 – Target vs Customer Satisfaction Level
Step 1: Create the data in the below format and apply chart type 1 (ref types of the chart).
Step 2: Select the data to apply chart type 1. Insert > Other Charts > Select Radar Chart.
Initially, your chart looks like the below one.
Step 3: Do the formatting as per your ideas (to do formatting refer the last example and play with it).
- Change the target line color to red achieved line color to green.
- Change spider line color to light blue and change the line style to dotted lines.
- Change X-axis values to word art styles.
- Insert the header for the chart and format it nicely.
After all the formatting your chart should look like the below chart.
Step 4: Get rid of the legends and use manual legends to adjust the chart neatly. To insert manually go to insert tab and insert Shapes.
Before removing and inserting manual legends.
After removing and inserting manual legends.
Interpretation of the Spider Chart in Excel
- Redline shows the target level each category and similarly, the green line indicates the achieved level of each category.
- The politeness category achieved the 100% score by reaching 9 out of 9.
- Next, the closest categories are responsiveness & skill set by scoring 8 out of 9.
- The least anchored category is urgency level it achieved only 2 out of 9.
- There is conclusive evidence that customer care executives need to works on the urgency level and need to gain more knowledge on the product.
- Maybe they require training to know more about the product.
- They need to create an urgency level in order to close more deals often.
Advantages of using Spider chart in Excel
- When you are presenting two-dimensional data set it is very useful to tell the story of the data set just by creating the radar chart in Excel.
- The radar chart in excel is more suitable when the exact values aren’t critical for a reader but the overall chart tells some story.
- Each category can be easily compared each along with their own axis and overall differences are apparent by the size of each radar.
- Spider charts in excel are more effective when you are comparing target vs achieved performance.
Disadvantages of using Spider chart in Excel
- The comparison of observations on a radar chart in excel could be confusing once there are more than a couple of webs on the chart.
- When there are too many variables, it creates too many axes, the crowd is too much.
- Though there are multiple axes that have gridlines connecting them for reference, issues arise when you try to compare values across different axes.
Things to consider while creating a radar chart in excel to visualize your report.
- Make sure you are not using more than two variables, Otherwise it will be a very tedious task for a user to understand and come to a conclusion.
- Try to cover the background with light colors to tell the story colorfully.
- Use different line styles to attract users’ attention.
- Arrange the data schematically.
- Enlarge the spider web to give clear visualization
- Work on-axis values to avoid too many intervening axis values.
- Get rid of legends to enlarge the spider web, but insert the legends by adding shapes.
- To make the chart easier to read one of the simplest things to alter is the size of the text. Do all these in the formatting section.
This has been a guide to Radar Chart in Excel. Here we discuss its uses and how to create Spider Chart in Excel along with excel example and downloadable excel templates. You may also look at these useful functions in excel –