How to Make Dot Plots in Excel? (Step by Step)
I have created one of the sample data item-wise sales numbers for five months; below is the sample data of the same. We will create a Dot Plot for this excel data. Follow the below steps:
Follow the below steps:
- Enter numbers 1, 2, and 3 in the next columns of the data. Refer below image.
- Now select the first two rows of the data and insert the column chart in excel.
- Now right-click on the chart and choose “Select Data”.
- In the below dialogue box, choose the “Edit” option.
- We can see the existing values as our selected range.
- Delete these existing values and enter 0, 0, 0 for all the three items.
- Click on the Ok, we will have a blank chart like the below one.
- Again, right-click on the chart and choose “Select Data”. In the below window, click on the “Add” button.
- In the below window, select the cell A1 for “Series Name” and for “Series Values”, enter 1 as the value.
- Click on the Ok, we will have a chart like the below one.
- Now right-click on the chart and choose “Change Chart Type”.
- In the below window, select “Combo”.
- For “Item 1”, choose “Scattered Chart” and click on the Ok.
- Now, we will have a chart like the below with just a dot, column bar replaced with just a dot.
- Right-click on the chart and choose “Select Data” again. In the next window, select “Item 1” and click on “Edit”.
- Now, we can see below the options window.
- For “Series Name”, choose cell A1, for “Series X Values”, choose the column which has number 1 (the one we have entered manually in step 1), and for “Series Y Values”, choose Item 1 numbers.
- Click on the Ok, now we will have a dot plot chart for “Item 1”.
- Now we need to repeat the same process for the other two items, i.e., “Item 2” and “Item 3”.
Below is for Item 2.
Below is for Item 3.
Now we will have a “Dot Plot” chart ready like the below one.
As we can see, instead of the traditional “Column Bar” chart, we have a “Dot Plot” chart.
Things to Remember
- There is no built-in dot plot chart in excel.
- We need a combination of the scattered chart to create a dot plot chart.
- We can increase the size of the dots in case if required under the format data series section.
- If you need a horizontal dot plot chart, then we need to insert a bar chart in excelInsert A Bar Chart In ExcelBar charts in excel are helpful in the representation of the single data on the horizontal bar, with categories displayed on the Y-axis and values on the X-axis. To create a bar chart, we need at least two independent and dependent variables. instead of the column chart.
This has been a guide to Dot Plots in Excel. Here we discuss how to make dot plots in excel along with examples and a downloadable excel template. You may learn more about excel charts from the following articles –