How to Make Dot Plots in Excel? (Step by Step)
I have created one of the sample data item-wise sales numbers for five months; below is the sample data of the same. We will create a Dot Plot for this excel data. Follow the below steps:
- Step 1: Enter numbers 1, 2, and 3 in the next columns of the data. Refer below image.
- Step 2: Now select the first two rows of the data and insert the column chart in excel.
- Step 3: Now right-click on the chart and choose “Select Data.”
- Step 4: In the below dialogue box, choose the “Edit” option.
- Step 5: We can see the existing values as our selected range.
- Step 6: Delete these existing values and enter 0, 0, 0 for all the three items.
- Step 7: Click on the Ok, we will have a blank chart like the below one.
- Step 8: Again, right-click on the chart and choose “Select Data.” In the below window, click on the “Add” button.
- Step 9: In the below window, select the cell A1 for “Series Name” and for “Series Values,” enter 1 as the value.
- Step 10: Click on the Ok, we will have a chart like the below one.
- Step 11: Now right-click on the chart and choose “Change Chart Type.”
- Step 12: In the below window, select “Combo.”
- Step 13: For “Item 1,” choose “Scattered Chart” and click on the Ok.
- Step 14: Now, we will have a chart like the below with just a dot, column bar replaced with just a dot.
- Step 15: Right-click on the chart and choose “Select Data” again. In the next window, select “Item 1” and click on “Edit.”
- Step 16: Now, we can see below the options window.
- Step 17: For “Series Name,” choose cell A1, for “Series X Values,” choose the column which has number 1 (the one we have entered manually in step 1), and for “Series Y Values,” choose Item 1 numbers.
- Step 18: Click on the Ok, now we will have a dot plot chart for “Item 1”.
- Step 19: Now we need to repeat the same process for the other two items, i.e., “Item 2” & “Item 3”.
Below is for Item 2.
Below is for Item 3.
Now we will have a “Dot Plot” chart ready like the below one.
4.9 (1,353 ratings) 35+ Courses | 120+ Hours | Full Lifetime Access | Certificate of Completion
As we can see, instead of the traditional “Column Bar” chart, we have a “Dot Plot” chart.
Things to Remember
- There is no built-in dot plot chart in excel.
- We need a combination of the scattered chart to create a dot plot chart.
- We can increase the size of the dots in case if required under the format data series section.
- If you need a horizontal dot plot chart, then we need to insert a bar chart in excel instead of the column chart.
This has been a guide to Dot Plots in Excel. Here we discuss how to make dot plots in excel along with examples and a downloadable excel template. You may learn more about excel charts from the following articles –