Gauge chart in excel is also known as speedometer chart because of its resemblance to a speedometer, because it resembles a speedometer it uses dials to visualize the information on the data, it is basically a combination of two different types of charts which are doughnut chart and pie chart, it can be used by creating a combo chart option in excel.
Table of Contents
What is Gauge Chart in Excel?
Gauge Chart in Excel is the one that uses one needle to show the information on a chart and shows a minimum or maximum of a particular thing. It is also known as speedometer or dial chart and is a combination of two charts doughnut and pie chart.
You can have a few ranges between the maximum and minimum values/sample and visualize in which extend the present esteem is falling.
Attributes of Gauge Chart in Excel (Speedometer Chart)
- Maximum value: It shows the value of the maximum range of gauge chart, e.g. maximum value is 180 in a motorbike.
- Minimum Value: It shows the value of the minimum range of gauge chart, e.g. minimum value is 0 in a motorbike.
- Speed: To check the speed of the vehicle we are using the speedometer/gauge chart to check the exact information because it is not stable.
- Gauge chart is used in business to check how much revenue has been achieved versus the goal.
- We can also check the temperature of a person, as a thermometer
How to Create Gauge Chart in Excel? (Speedometer Chart)
Excel Speedometer Chart can be created in two simple ways:
- To create the chart with a single value.
- To create the chart with a multiple or more than one values.
Example #1 – Create a Gauge Chart in Excel with Single Value
- Choose the data with a single value as shown below:
- Select the data in your information and additionally incorporate the headers from your information.
- Tap on the Inset tab, in the Charts, tap the insert pie or doughnut diagram or, and select the chart which suits your information:
- Your Chart looks like as given below:
- Right click on the speedometer chart, select the format data series option.
- Select a series option and set an angle of first pie to 90 degrees to make data in a semi-circular form.
- Then the chart looks like this.
- Right, click on bottom slice of pie. Click on a format data point.
- Select no fill, it will make bottom slice invisible.
- Now here is Gauge Chart which looks like a speedometer in excel. Add a Chart Title to it.
In this chart, the right-hand side slice of grey color shows the profit which shows in our which we have selected while preparing the gauge chart in excel.
Note: By the same method, we can make the gauge chart by using the multiple values.
Example #2 – Create a Gauge Chart in Excel with Multiple Value
- We are taking the data of quality of the product like average, good, excellent etc. Mention below is the data:
- Select the data and select doughnut chart as shown above while creating the gauge chart with a single value. Once it is done you will get the gauge chart (speedometer) in excel.
- Select a Format Data series option and
- Set an angle of first pie (which one is large) to 90 degrees.
- It rotates the chart on the right side.
- Right click on a large slice of pie. Click on Format Data Point.
- Click on Fill and select no fill, it will make slice invisible.
- Finally, we have prepared the gauge charge quality wise. Here is a chart.
Advantages of Gauge Chart in Excel
- It is easy to understand for everyone.
- It is easy to use in excel.
- Anyone can read and understand what gauge chart depicts.
- Gauge chart can be prepared from the single value or multiple values.
Disadvantages of Speedometer Chart in Excel
- It is not the best method to present a single measure.
- Gauge Chart is not able to portray the context of the sample.
- People who are color blindly, they won’t be able to get the information through gauge chart.
- It requires a lot of space when you want to display different information on a single chart.
Things to Remember About Gauge Chart in Excel
- Always take the values which have no dimensions.
- If you want to communicate your data through gauge so it is mandatory to understand the audition whether they understand the data or not.
- Always make your chart more attractive so that it shows clear information by using different colors.
- Always select the appropriate data, to get the chart in a better way.
- Always remember to invisible that slice of pie which is larger in size.
- If the data is small the better you can understand the data and make better gauge chart.
This has been a guide to Gauge Chart in Excel. Here we discuss how to Create Speedometer Chart in Excel Using Pie and Doughnut along with practical examples and downloadable excel template. You may learn more about excel from the following articles –