Sharing Power BI Reports
There are different methods to share a report in power bi, there is a basic way to share a report by using the share button but there are other methods too such as using the workspace or publishing the report to the web or embed it in share point and secure embed.
The ultimate aim of creating data insights, visualization, and detailed analysis is to make the decision-making process much simpler. But those who create data insights are not the decision-makers but different people, so we need to share the ready dashboard or report to the decision making users.
How to Publish Power BI Reports?
Before we share Power BI reports with the end-users first thing we need to do is to “Publish” the desktop version report to Power BI Services account.
To publish the report follow the below steps.
Step 1: Open report which is prepared in Power BI Desktop.
Step 2: After opening the dashboard go to the HOME tab and click on the “Publish” option.
Step 3: Log in to Power BI Service Account
If you have already logged into Power BI account it will not ask you to log in or else first you need to log in to Power BI services account with your registered email id.
Step 4: Select the destination file and click on “Select”.
It will take some time to upload and when the report is published to Power BI services we will get the below confirmation message.
Click on “Got it” to close this window.
Log in to Power BI Services to Share Reports
After publishing log in to Power BI services account.
- To login click on your username and then select the Power BI Services option from the dashboard.
In Power BI services account our published dashboards and reports are by default sit under “My Workspace”.
Click on “Reports” to see the name of our published report. Click on this to view the report in detail.
How to Share Power BI Reports with Others?
Once the published reports come and sit in My Workspace from here on we can share the report. This method is the most common way of sharing the report with other users.
- Step 1: Go to the “Reports” section and you can see a small “Share” icon appears.
To share the reports with other users whether they are your organization user or outside you need Power BI Pro License to share the reports with others, not you but also the recipient need to have Power BI Pro License.
- Step 2: Once you click on the “Share” button it will ask you to enter the recipient’s email address and include an options message if required.
Enter the email id of the targeted person for whom you are sharing the reports.
- Step 3: After that, we have a few more options to control the share as shown below.
“Allow recipients to share your report”, “Allow users to build new content using underlying data sets”, and “Send email notification to recipients”. Based on your requirement you can select and unselect any of the items.
- Step 4: Click on the “Share” button to share the report with the entered email address id.
- Step 6: Now the recipient needs to log into the Power BI Services account (they need to have Pro license) and they need to click on the “Shared with me” tab and they will see Owner name and the name of the article they have shared.
Now they can use these shared reports to view and take decisions.
While sharing the report we can also see who has accessed the report under the “Access” tab or share dashboard.
In the same window, we can stop sharing the report and also prevent others from sharing the report.
- Under the “Access” tab click on the ellipsis (three dots).
- Now we can see two options “Read” & “Remove Access”.
If you choose the option “Read” then other people continue to share the report with anyone. If you choose the option “Remove Access” then it will remove the access of the person.
Advantage and Disadvantages of Sharing Method
- Advantages: This is the most common way of sharing the dashboard or report with the end-users. This is one of the easy and quick ways to distribute the report with multiple users.
- Disadvantages: Even though this is a simple method it has its own limitations as well. With this method, we cannot specify edit access to end-users. This is not the good practice because if the dashboard building is a team environment where one guy specific set of tasks and other guys do a different set of task then it becomes just paper to read. One more disadvantage is we cannot share multiple reports and dashboards are time.
Things to Remember
- This is the basic sharing method.
- Workspace, Power BI App are other ways of sharing the reports and dashboards.
This has been a guide to Power BI Share Reports. Here we discuss how to share Power BI reports with others and manage permissions with the help of an example. You can learn more from the following articles –