What is Power BI Workspace?
Power BI Workspace is the way of sharing the end report or content with the group of users. Workspace is the place to collaborate with your team members and end-users of the report to create a collection of dashboards, reports, and data insights. The workspace is a shared environment of having a group of people in the same space. We can add users who can access, edit, and read the content in the workspace.
Every representation application or any programming language needs a space where the data and the dashboards and reports and other things are saved, similar to that we have a workspace in power bi, here we can add other users too so that multiple users can use a single workspace and edit or view the dashboards and other features.
Under one workspace, we can create multiple dashboards, reports, and data sets. To work with the workspace first, we need to publish the dashboard we have created in Power BIDashboard We Have Created In Power BIDashboards tells the story in a single page view. Being an interactive tool as well, it is best suited to create such kind of interactive dashboards. So we will show you how to create an interactive sample sales dashboard in power bi. desktop.
Publish Dashboard to My Workspace
To publish the dashboard created in the desktop version to Power BI service, first, open the dashboard in Power BI desktop.
- After opening the dashboard, go to the HOME tab and find the “Publish” option.
- First, you need to login to the Power BI services account with your registered email id. It will ask you to select the destination file. Click on “Select.”
- After selecting, it will take some time to upload, and when the report is published to Power BI services, we will get the below confirmation message.
Click on “Got it” to close this window.
Log in to Power BI Services
After publishing, log in to the Power BI services account.
- To log in, click on your username and then select the Power BI Services option from the dashboard.
In the Power BI services account, our published dashboards and reports are, by default, sit under “My Workspace.” This is similar to our “My Documents” folder in our computers and laptops.
- Select the “My Workspace” folder, and you can see four tabs under this as “Dashboards, Reports, Workbooks, and Datasets.”
- Click on “Reports” to see the name of our published report. Click on this to view the report in detail.
“My Workspace” tab should not be used to share the content with others because this is a personal workspace that may contain other reports as well.
So, by creating a new workspace, we can share the content with team members.
How to Create a New Power BI Workspace?
To create a new workspace, you need to follow the below steps.
- Click on the “My Workspace” tab from Power BI services and select “Create a workspace.
- If you are not a pro member, it will ask you to subscribe to the “Power BI Pro” membership. Either you can “upgrade the account” or “Try Pro for free.”
- If you opt for a “free trial,” it will be a 60-day free pro trial.
- After the free trial subscription process is over, click on “Create workspace” again. This time it will open up the “Create Workspace” option to the right side of your window.
- The first thing we need to do is to give a name to our new workspace. So enter the name, this name will be seen by the people to whom you share.
- Now click on “Advanced” to see more advanced options. We need to mention the “Contact List” for those who can access this report. Here we have two options “Workspace admins” and “Specific users and groups.”
If you choose “Workspace admins,” then only admins can see this report, and if you want to share with other users and groups, then you need to enter those users and groups in the box.
- Click on “Save,” and now we will navigate to “New Workspace” from “My Workspace.”
In this tab, we don’t see any documents, dashboards, reports, workbooks, and data sets yet. For this, we need to republish from the Power BI desktop.
- After opening the dashboard, go to the HOME tab and find the “Publish” option, this time. You will have two destination folders, “My workspace and Sales Analytics.” Select Sales Analytics and click on “Select.”
- It will be published in a new workspace folder.
Note: Sales Analytics is the name we had given to the new workspace while creating the new Power BI workspace.
- Now come back to the “Power Services” account now under “Sales Analytics” workspace, we can see “Dashboards, Reports, Workbooks, Datasets, and Dataflow” options.
Things to Remember
- Workspace is available under the Power BI Services account of Pro membership.
- Pro membership is not a free version, so you need to pay for it.
- You can mention the users or group names of those who can access this report or content.
This has been a guide to Power BI Workspace. Here we discuss how to create a new workspace to collaborate with your team members and end-users of the report to create a collection of dashboards, reports, and data insights. You can learn more from the following articles –